No18 Interiors Style Guide
Edition 3: Art Deco Revival
Art Deco rEVIVAL: Art Deco, SOMETIMES REFERRED TO AS DECO, HAS INFLUENCED THE DESIGN OF BUILDINGS, FURNITURE, JEWELLERY, FASHION…EVEN CRUISE SHIPS.
IN INTERIOR TERMS, ART DECO IS IN THE MIDST OF a HUGE REVIVAL. A LUXURY, YET ORNATE STYLE that MAKEs A huge STATEMENT IN ANY HOME
Orange, turquoise, navy, pink and green…with the Art Deco trend all colours can be seen
Art Deco, also called style moderne, originated in the 1920s and developed into a major style in western Europe and the United States during the 1930s. Its name was derived from the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes, held in Paris in 1925, where the style was first exhibited.
Art Deco design represented modernism turned into fashion. Its products included both individually crafted luxury items and mass-produced homewares, but, in either case, the intention was to create a sleek yet traditional elegance, to symbolise wealth and sophistication.
However most of the outstanding Art Deco creators designed individually crafted or limited-edition items. They included the furniture designers Jacques Ruhlmann and Maurice Dufrène;
Due to the styles elegant demeanour, contrasted with bold colours & wallpaper prints, its popularity is once again at its peak in the UK.
No18’s Art Deco styling top tips
Photo Credit: @palazzoconcept (instagram)
1) Choose wallpaper with a bold print and lots of colours. Pull out one of these colours for a statement chair or sofa.
2) Don’t be afraid to paint a feature wall green, blue even pink. Team this with some deco style prints, framed in gold for that extra colour pop and enhanced dimension.
3) Introduce gold furnishings, perhaps a gold side table with a mirrored top to create that opulent feel. Place a geometric style lamp on top to generate even more contrast
4) Go bold with your lighting. Choose a ceiling light that commands attention and includes both glass and gold accents
5) Art Deco style mirrors not only reflect light and create the feeling of additional space, they excude style and can bring a whole room together
still not sure? start with some statement pieces
novo drinks trolley
Bold, gold and beautiful. Create an Art Deco work of art in your dining room with the Novo drinks trolley. Use multi-coloured drinks bottles to style this extraordinary piece.
no18 Interiors recommend…